Old October 18th 09, 04:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default Q: Shimano cantilever straddle cable length?

On Oct 18, 8:41*am, somebody wrote:
I'm thinking of using some Shimano BR-550's on a road bike with Alex
DM-18 rims. *I can pick one of several fixed straddle cables. *Which
one?

Use the one it comes with and work from there. Chances are that a
normal canti with an average sized rim like that will work pretty well
with the average sized linkage included. ;-)

Cheaper and better, IMHO, are the Tektro CR720s on that same page.
They come with an adjustable straddle setup. Stock pads are better
than Shimano. Only reason not to use them would be clearance issues as
they stick out a bit. Set em up so the yoke makes about a 90 degree
angle. See how you like that first, then lengthen or shorten as
desired.