Old July 26th 09, 01:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Don Lesco

Default cracked rim

On 2009-07-25, mary wrote:

I went to the LBS today to have my rim trued and they found that the rim is
cracked by one of the spokes. The crack is about 1/8th of an inch long on
each side of the spoke. *Needless to say I ordered a new rim. *My question
is, is it ok to ride until my new rim comes in?

Not if it's one of those new-fangled "low spoke count" wheels.

--

-John )

A good point form John.

For the record, I developed a crack while on tour about 1500 km from
home. It was a 36 spoke triple cross wheel. I made it about 1000km
before I had to replace it. It had developed a severe enough wobble
that I had to undo the cantilever brakes so the would not rub. You
would likely have been OK for 70 miles if it is not a low spoke count
wheel. I have no experience with them.