Old July 29th 09, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_18_]

Default cracked rim

mary wrote:
Never mind. I decided not to take the chance. took my old bike off
the trainer and will use that until the new wheel comes in. Better
safe than sorry I suppose.

I call that an "act like a grown-up moment" because it happened to me, too.
I was 12 miles from the end of a ride when my front tire developed a
sizeable bulge. At first, I thought the sound was my heart beat, going
thub-thub, thub-thub as the wheel rotated, and then I saw the bulge. I
stopped, of course. There were 5 of us and the other 4 said I should "tough
it out." I almost did, but in the long run decided to act like an adult
instead of hoping it would be okay. I also call this a "how would I explain
this in the emergency room" moment. Can't you just see a doctor asking you,
"Well, you knew your rim was cracked and yet you ignored that and continued
to ride?"

Yes, it is better to be safe---and sane rather than give in to the desire to
take a chance with your life and limbs.

Pat in TX