Old November 12th 04, 04:15 AM
Mark Hickey

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote:

I think I've figured out how wide I want my bars and right now there's about
1.5" of bar sticking out from each bar end.

I'm going to trim the bars with a pipe cutter. Should I leave, say, 1/4"
sticking out past the bar ends or cut them flush?

I guess this is an engineering question about the collapsability of the bar
tubing under the load of pulling on the bar ends when climbing.

I'd suggest leaving the ends of the clamps flush (or maybe even 1mm
inset) from the ends of the bar. That will produce the most robust
interface between the two surfaces, and will put a full contact point
between them at the point of greatest pressure when you're climbing
out of the saddle.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com