Old October 20th 03, 07:52 AM

Default Which Campy Ergo/derailleurs go with Shimano 9s cassette--9s or 10s?

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 05:05:18 GMT, "Kovie"
wrote:

Put another way, if I want to use Campy Ergo shifters with a
Shimano-compatible hub and 9s cassette:

1 - Can I use Campy 10s front/rear derailleurs and 10s Ergos, and if so are
there any adjustments needed and/or limitiations involved in terms of
performance, reliability or durability?

2 - Or do I have to stick with 9s for all three components, and if so are
there also any adjustments needed and/or limitiations involved in terms of
performance, reliability or durability?

3 - Or is it better to go with Shimano rear/front derailleurs and perform
the needed adjustment to make this work?

4 - Does it matter either way whether I go for Campy or Shimano BBs/cranks?
If it's all the same, I'd prefer to go Campy with these.

Thanks, and sorry about all the postings! I'm just trying to figure out the
complexities of mixing and matching Shimano and Campy components and making
sure I don't end up with a pile of incompatible parts that have to be
returned.

You only need the Ergos and a rear derailleurs. I've been running a
Campy/Shimano 9 speed mix like this on two bikes that have well over
10,000 miles each without any problems. I have needed no special
adjustment, other than normal attention to detail. I love the
convenience and lower cost of being able to use Shimano cassettes and
third party chains.

I see 2003 Veloce 9 speed available for only $160 and I believe that
they can be refitted for 10 speed for a minimal cost later if you
like. Peter Chisholm of Vecchio's Bicicletteria in Boulder, CO,
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com, is the resident expert on these
things here and can confirm the details.