Old July 5th 05, 10:05 PM
Yuri Budilov

"Art Harris" wrote in message
ps.com...
Yuri Budilov wrote:

\
Top tube length should be determined by your torso and arm length. It's
not related to leg length.

Try riding the 54cm frame and the next larger size, and see which feels
better. The 2.5-inch clearance you mention is not unusual by today's
standards, although I personally prefer less. Just make sure you can
get the bars high enough.

thank you Art. I owned a 56cm Trek 1000 last year and even with angled-up
100mm stem it seemed a bit too long for me and I could never ride in the
drops (beyond 20-30 seconds?). Even on 56cm bike the bar seemed low but
could it have been because it was a bit too long for me?

So I am inclined to try 54cm. If I subtract my inseam (83cm) from overall
height of 173cm, it would mean torso length of 90cm, less head+neck, right?
Does this number lead to a preference - 56cm or 54cm Madone frame?
Unfortunately there are no 54cm test rides in Madone so I am going by
process of elimination here......