Old February 15th 18, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default my fixie doesn't need improvement

On 2018-02-15 10:27, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 09:49:39 -0800, Joerg

On 2018-02-15 08:58, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 10:25:33 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

What's next?

- Pre-wired electrical system for lighting and accessories.
- Radar collison and approach warning system.
- Various anti-theft schemes.
- Ultrasonic crack detection and alarm for carbon fiber frames.
- Acoustic vibration analysis while riding to warn of impending frame
or component failures.
- Built in strain gauges and sensors.
- Gyro stabilization.
- Wings and fins to improve stability.
- Rear view camera and screen.
- Hands free steering with heads up display.
- Reflective 3M painted frame.
- Lighting viewable from any angle (strip lighting).
- Automatic headlight dimming for approaching traffic.
- Inflatable bicycle (for easy storage and portage).
- Non-Newtonian fluid filled tires.
- Autogyro for longer jumps.
- etc...

I like the autogyro.

So do I, but I don't think it can be made to work, especially on a
single track trough the trees. The propeller diameter would be too
large. Still, it might be fun to ride off a cliff and slowly glide
down to the ground.

Luckily we can still buy bicycles sans electronics. With motor vehicles
that is becoming harder and for some categories one might be forced to
buy used. Saying this as an engineer who designs electronics.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

That's what people already said in the 90's yet I still drive a car that
has no power windows, no electric locks, no anti-lock brakes, no
automatic transmission, it's the bare bones model.

Anti-lock brakes for MTBs?

Auntie Lock Brakes have already been patented:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20080111342
https://patents.google.com/patent/US6786308
https://patents.google.com/patent/US5730256
etc...

For mountain bikers an implementation could result in nasty crashes.

Ummm... that was your suggestions.

No, I just a laid out a horror scenario. I would never want anti-lock
brakes on a bicycle, ever. Preferably also not in a car or at least with
a switch-off feature.

... It would go nicely with the
microwave (or optical) ground speed sensor. When the wheels and the
ground are moving at different speeds, it would apply the brakes. I'll
have to think of something for hops and jumps, where the wheels slow
down for an extended period. Landing on the ground with the brakes
locked might not be a good idea.

It would be good business for the surrounding hospitals.

The one thing I really don't like about bicycles is that literally
every crazy idea that someone could possibly suggest, has already been
tried. What keeps bicycling from ossifying in place is that the
number of crazy ideas to try is growing faster than people willing to
try them. There is still hope for technical progress in bicycling.

I primarily want higher quality and durability when it comes to
bicycles. Also, technology often trails motor vehciles so far that it's
not even funny. What is so difficult about a reasonable electrical
system like cars have? I had that on bikes already 40 years ago and the
industry still hasn't figured it out.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/