Old September 20th 03, 03:36 PM
Pete Biggs

Default Bike shoes,cleats and traffic - advise please???

One Step Beyond wrote:
Is my method outlined below correct????
I have found that the best method is when coming up to a junction,
start to slow down then disengage the left foot about five yards from
where I'll stop. Then, when I am about to stop, lean my weight
slightly to the left, put my foot on the floor then get out of the
saddle at the same time - leaving the right foot still engaged with
the pedal. I then turn the right crank so that the pedal is at the
top and then push off with the right leg, I then have to fiddle for
about five seconds getting the left foot engaged with the pedal. I
have had the thought that since the right pedal is still engaged then
when I push off I can keep my momentum going my cycling with just the
right leg and pulling up as well as pressing down to keep going so
that I am moving whilst engaging the left pedal.

That's a good method. I often do exactly that except I often find I still
stay sitting on the saddle if I can rest left foot on kerb or even just put
tiptoe down if stop is just a very brief one.

To build up confidence, though, (don't do this normally but as an excerise)
practice leaving it later and later before unclipping. Eventually, if you
can, stop and balance for a second or two THEN unclip! You'll certainly be
alright in an emergency stop once you've mastered that.

I had an accuident nearly when starting out with cycling shoes when I
pushed off as above but couldn't engage the left pedal and my
momentum went - I fell on my side and a car nearly hit me. That
scared me a lot and I am still a bit weary about pulling off again

That will be forgotten once you've fully got the hang of the things.

What type, make & model pedals? Some are easier to manage than others.

On a similar note, do most cyclists plan there cycling runs to avoid
certain junctons becuase of this very issue? Do you plan your rides
so that most of your turns are left, merging into the traffic as
opposed to having to turn right?

I don't think so. I certainly don't.

~PB