Old August 16th 08, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
burtthebike

Default The rise of British cycling (sport that is)

"suer" wrote in message

Hands up who among the rest of us young girlies spent the rest of the
1984 season sleeping on mattresses-on-the-floor, or even straight on the
floor, in the hopes of raising our game to her level. Ha, I did.

Great story suer, thanks. Beryl was one of the all time women greats, and
it seems incredible that she had a serious debilitating illness when young
(polio?) but came back to beat everyone for a very long time indeed.

The story I love best was when she was doing a 24 hours time trial, and
passing one of her male rivals, reached into a pocket and offered him a
liquorice allsort! Rumour has it that he retired from the ride.