Old July 22nd 03, 07:57 PM
Clovis Lark

Default Mayo 2nd in 15th stage - bad style?

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

"Clovis Lark" wrote in message
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

"Willowbeauty" wrote in message

"Martin Recker" wrote in message
om...
"Willowbeauty" wrote in message
.. .

Euskatel are after the highest Spanish team prize

Mayo would have lost nothing in this competition crossing the line as
3rd.

4 seconds are nothing in the best team classification by now.

Good thing Lemond wasn't quite so flippant as you over a few seconds
wasn't
it?

Mayo is not in contention for much. The rider ahead of him is his

teamate.

If he breaks tomorrow for Bayonne (not saying he will) would you accept
his motives for a podium finish? If he and Zubeldia continue to slave in
tandem and make up the deficit to CSC, would you accept those motives?
What might you accept?

Mayo won't finish on the podium.

I'm willing to put money on that. Are you?

My hunch is that he won't either. But that is not a blank check for him
to stop racing. Much is on the line, E-E has budgetary constraints and is
hoping to raise extra cash for extending contracts for their riders from
both Euskatel and the local government. However, if the dough ain't
sufficient, he, along with several others, will be looking for interest
elsewhere. Most teams would gladly grab a combative, energetic rider who
doesn't give up. On his team's part, the Fundacion Euskadi is only able
to guarantee a single year contract which won't keep riders looking for
several years' security. Euskatel is planning to continue their support to
2006, but the current contract ends next season and good exposure/results
are needed to convince the beancounters. Right now, they aren't inclined
to give more than 3 million euros. The balance is apparently going to come
from provincial government grants. I think this presents incentive enough
to perform as hard as possible.

Facts cribbed from:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tour.php?...ures/euskaltel