Old June 4th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default a traffic dilemma

In article ,
"Earl Bollinger" writes:

I use everything to my advantage when it is rush hour with traffic jams and
such.
I consider sidewalks fair game at certain times of the day or night. Alleys,
empty fields, parks, parking lots, construction zones, industrial areas,
residential areas, apartment complexes, etc. I am not above using sidewalks
to advantage.

I'm of the same school of thought. As the baseball dictum says:
"Hit 'em where they ain't."

But in some cities it is illegal to ride a biccycle on a
sidewalk, so that may not be a option in some areas.

It's illegal where I live, but that doesn't stop me, and
I haven't been hassled for it yet. Of course, I'm talking
about fairly desolate inner-city sidewalks, and not downtown
ones, teeming with throngs of mid-December Christmas shoppers.

There has to be some advantage to using a bicycle besides sitting in traffic
jams like all the motorists do. :-)

Sure. It's a shame to waste that advantage by trying to turn
one's bike into a car just to be servile to drivers (who won't
appreciate it anyways.)

cheers,
Tom

--