Old December 14th 08, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Default Cycling and your child leaflet - update?

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 10:18:11 +0000, Peter Clinch
wrote:

Tom Crispin wrote:
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 22:45:01 +0000, Colin McKenzie

The changes I propose a
Page 2, grey background, para 2. Reword sentences 2 and 3 to:
National records show it to be, mile for mile, about as safe as walking.
While accidents can happen, they are ra there have been no child
cyclist fatalities in the whole of London since 2004 (as at March 2008).

Fine

Looks good to me too.

I've had second thoughts...

Is the (as at March 2008) bit necessary: it sounds a bit like we are
waiting for a child cyclist to be killed. I am convinced that there
have been no child cyclists killed on London's roads since March (I
would probably hear of such a case within hours of such a tragic
event) and it doesn't need to be said "at the time of going to print"
as that is obvious.

Veena, at TfL's Centre of Cycling Excellence, advised me not even to
mention the word 'death' or 'fatality' as it only has negative images.
'Safe', 'healthy' and 'fun' are the words to use.