Old May 7th 11, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Lake[_2_]

Default Does it ever end?

On Sat, 7 May 2011 10:27:08 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech Frank
Krygowski wrote:

work on gravitation, on optics, on fluid mechanics... need I go on?
The man was a big fan of alchemy, after all!

Sorry, your ':' at the beginning of a line screwed up my reader.

Hey! Having looked over Scuffham, I think you may have a point.
There's something about that which fails my "sniff test". It wouldn't
be the first time politics and money influenced research if what you
claim is true... it may be so. I have seen that very dynamic in
action; I can cite examples; however, I'll spare you having to read
it.

I might criticize his first study on biased language; though... but,
yeah... he worked for people who had an interest in the outcome. Been
there, done that! I'm giving you that point, but drop Scuffham '95;
it's now worthless.

Back to Newton... have you, by any chance, seen his law of cooling?
It's something like: "The rate of heat loss of a body is proportional
to the difference in temperatures between the body and its
surroundings." (pasted, of course; however, believe what you want)

How do you explain the idea that "hot water freezes more quickly than
relatively chilled water" given a constant freezing temperature of
water? I will be happy to point you to various web sites and
discussions of that idea.

Too bad Newton wasn't as smart as we are, huh?