Old May 30th 20, 06:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default So much fr a growth in bicycle riding from the pandemic.

On Sat, 30 May 2020 04:43:35 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Sat, 30 May 2020 10:41:31 +0700, John B. wrote:

On Sat, 30 May 2020 02:00:34 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Sat, 30 May 2020 06:00:08 +0700, John B. wrote:

On Fri, 29 May 2020 12:49:36 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52832791 Uber is destroying
thousands of electric bikes and scooters, after selling its Jump
business to Lime.

Videos of its red bikes being crushed at a US recycling centre were
shared on social media, angering cycling advocates.

Uber said it had decided to destroy thousands of its older-model
vehicles due to maintenance, liability and safety concerns.

In the UK, Uber continues to operate Jump and has not scrapped any
bikes.

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/20/0...uber-destroys-

thousands-
of-bikes-and-scooters

An anonymous reader quotes a report from the BBC:
Uber is destroying thousands of electric bikes and scooters, after
selling its Jump business to Lime. Videos of its red bikes being
crushed at a recycling centre were shared on social media, angering
cycling advocates. Uber said it had decided to destroy thousands of
its older- model vehicles due to maintenance, liability and safety
concerns.

But, "so what"? Don't the bikes belong to Uber? Can't one do what one
wishes with one's own property?

It is a social good question/morality.
Do you throw every thing into municipal rubbish dumps, or do you
distribute it to charities that might obtain some use of it?

I would have to say that it is my property than I have the right to
dispose of it in any manner I wish.

Typical first world arrogance. And wrong, unless you live in s **** hole
of a country.
Most modern countries have laws about safe disposal of property, so after
that, you are free to be an asshole/asrsehole if you wish.
Paying it forward could be a wise investment.

Safe Disposal? The original reference was to "bikes being crushed at a
US recycling centre". Are you saying that a "recycling center" isn't a
safe disposal?
--
cheers,

John B.