Old August 10th 18, 04:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default Seeking Input on Effort to Improve Bicycling Opportunities In Downeast Maine

The problems come from Google Maps. If you have roads getting busy you will
have Google Maps routing cars and trucks off of highways and onto byways
where bicycle normally travel. And of course drivers still want to drive at
highway speeds and all of the smaller side roads start becoming dangerous
during commute times.

One would think that dangerous driving would be a target for police what
with the numbers of highway casualties. But that certainly isn't the case
anywhere I've been except Sun City in Phoenix. Locally we have many side
roads to freeways on which the traffic will pull onto and drive at
preposterously dangerous speeds. Because people aren't killed every day
the lawmakers do nothing. But they keep increasing taxes to "fix the
roads" and then using the money for other things. If you were to heavily
enforce safe and sane speed limits and dangerous driving habits such as
running red lights and stop signs you could not only obtain additional
funds but increase traffic safety at the same time. Why do you suppose
this never occurs to law makers?

A road with no shoulders and high speed traffic will always be dangerous for
cyclists. The fact is that motor vehicles and bicycles do not mix well. Even
roads with not much traffic can still be dangerous. I like roads with
shoulders - and bike trails are of course ideal (unless they get too
crowded). It behooves everyone to think a bit about what roads they want to
travel on a bike. It is always best to stay off of heavily trafficked roads.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota