Old August 10th 18, 02:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Single Rear Gear with Double Chainring and shifters

On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 5:16:34 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/9/2018 5:56 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 11:17:27 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 11:31:05 AM UTC-4, David Scheidt wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
:On 8/8/2018 11:06 PM, news18 wrote:
: On 09/08/18 06:57, Max Nosugar wrote:
: Its cool to have a 3 speed rear hub for fixie now
:
: er, is it still a fixte?
: Sounds like I my first ride with a 3 speed Sturney Archer hub.
:
: bTW, i've heard of dual speed fixties from the 40's/50's
: where they had one cog on one side for racing and another on
: the other side for riding home. You just swopped the wheel
: around to change gears.
:

:That was a standard race setup until the mid-1930s. Riders
:would flip to low gear before a climb. Go read about Tullio
:Campagnolo climbing the Croce d'Aune in 1927 for a great
:true story.

:In the 1940s, 50s 60s British riders used fork-mounted wheel
:carriers to tote their nice race wheels to the start. Clever
:little steel brackets held one wheel by the axle on each
:side of the fork. Couldn't find an image but Holdsworthy
:carried them and we sold them through the mid-1970s.

Soemthing like these:
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2015/...or-cyclocross/
?

--
sig 98

Neat! I also like the last post on that page: "Jan Heine, Editor, Bicycle Quarterly says:
November 6, 2015 at 12:16 am

Both wheels use 6-speed freewheels. For mud, fewer cogs means less clogging. I rarely use more than 3 or 4 gears in a ‘cross race anyhow."

So, according to some, Less really is better than more.

Cheers

For Jan, old is always better than new -- that's his business model. He also says his old Alan is just as good or better than the modern CX bikes, which is spoken like someone under 170lbs who doesn't have to do a lot of braking in mud. On a CX bike with cantis, you start braking at the top of the muddy hill and hope you have some braking left at the bottom. With discs, you can effectively brake later in the hill and go faster, worrying only about traction. Also, his Alan has bar-ends, which are great for auto-shifting when you dismount or hike-a-bike. I'm amazed hes not riding steel, which is by far the most magical substance on earth besides vinyl LPs.

-- Jay Beattie.

OK, good points all.
But to win at UCI Cyclocross nobody has to beat _you_ to the
finish, merely the other pros who show up at the start line.

http://alanbike.it/wp-content/upload...tamsnjider.jpg

https://www.rtvoost.nl/nieuws/defaul...-1#prettyPhoto[pp261778]/0/

Yes, and I rode a flat circuit race in a pack with a US pro rider who was on a three speed just to make a point -- until he got kicked out for riding a three speed. It was good he got kicked out, because he would have crushed me in the sprint.

BTW, Hennie's Cinelli 1R sucked, too. I had real difficulty keeping mine tight, and that seat post . . . pretty, but I didn't usually carry open-end wrenches, and it was so easy to mung the flats. An SR Laprade was a better bet for a quarter the price, and less mung-able (but not pretty). But I'm sure the historical re-enactors would totally dig those things, and that's fine. It's part of the business model for my LBS. http://www.burlingamebikes.com/the-classics/

-- Jay Beattie.