Old August 13th 18, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

Default Wheel Weight Inexplicably Increases 20 gms In 2 Weeks

This is the double tubed wheel w/ sealant in both tubes. It may have picked up a little dust but not 20 gms worth.

The bike is usually locked up outside in the heat under a make shift cover. Since it was first weighed 2 weeks ago both tubes have been pumped up twice w/o loss of sealant and ridden about 100 km on 60 C pavement.

The interest in wheel weight is that water based sealant may evaporate in the heat with the wheel getting _lighter_ not heavier.

The kitchen scales seem accurate enough weighing out food.

Absorbed something - maybe water, oils from tarmac?

All that stuff evaporated back in the early Eocene. They only thing they have here is dust which tends to fall off first pot hole.

But I'd mainly suspect the scales, and their margin of error at
different temperatures.

The scale has a low reproducibility issue over a couple weeks for some reason.

I'll try the same 2 weights every day to check.