Old August 20th 18, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Sunscreen for bicycling

On 2018-08-20 13:36, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 12:23:34 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-08-20 11:26,
wrote:
On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 7:29:00 PM UTC-7, Joy Beeson
wrote:
On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 00:05:16 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska
wrote:

Does anybody have suggestions for sunscreen to wear while
bicycling?

My cancer doctor said to use zinc sunblock on fresh scars.
(My current scar is under my hatband, so all I use is E-oil and
a white linen do-rag.)

I'm currently using Kroger's knock-off of Neutrogena 70; when
it runs out, I plan to start snitching my spouse's Neutrogena
100, so as to use it up faster.

I used to use a cheaper sunblock on my arms and legs, but when
it ran out, I began to put the same stuff everywhere. I
usually coat only the outside of the calf muscle on my legs,
because that is where I got a brown streak when I could ride
that long. I rub my arms together like a cricket, and put an
extra layer on what sticks out of my sleeves. (In hot weather,
I wear long linen sleeves -- and on my last few rides they got
soaking wet without spitting water on them.) I still have
brown, speckled arms. And there's a patch on the back of my
hand even though I put on another layer of 50-SPF sunscreen
every time I take off my gloves.

The stick sunscreen is running out and I haven't yet found
another that fits into my pocket. I recently realized that I
can put lotion into a lip-salve box -- if I can find one that
isn't identical in every way to the box I carry A&D in.

I used to carry hand cleaner in my tool kit. A&D cleans hands
just fine, and has a lot of other uses. Also, nowadays, I fix
flats with my cell phone, so I don't need a grease remover.

-- Joy Beeson joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Well, I can recommend the Neutrogena 100+. Did a long hard ride
mostly in direct sunlight yesterday and my tan didn't change at
all.

Once you have developed a good tan it won't change much any more.
Sometimes when working in the yard for a few minutes I get carried
away and cut bushes for a couple hours. No sun screen at that time
but the tan doesn't change anymore. Since moving to California in
the 90's I also don't seem to get sun burns anymore.

My ride was out towards the Altemont Pass. If there is enough sun my
arms will turn red as if I got a sunburn but they will be brown again
the next day. But with that 100+ there was absolutely NO reaction.

Turning red is critical even if it "heals" in a day. I had that as well
years ago but somehow not anymore. It all just tans a bit more over the
weeks.

On of my riding buddies has very white skin, Irish/Scandinavian type. So
he uses SPF100 like you do and no tan or burn ever develops.

One thing to remember is that a tan does not prevent UV damage to the
skin.

Yeah, that's a problem. However, people in countries where the majority
has naturally darker skin fare much better in terms of skin cancer rates
despite a much higher UV exposu

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/c...rs/by-country/

They often don't even have sun blocker and don't cover their skin:

https://s-i.huffpost.com/gen/4086324...RS-628x314.jpg

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/