Old May 28th 19, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Default Disk Brakes Again

Chalo wrote:
In my observation, when disc brakes get wet, they lose power and make
noise. Evidently people who believe in them also believe they don't get wet.

The best brakes for wet conditions are drums, which almost always stay
dry inside where it counts, and which give consistent braking that helps
avoid unwanted skidding or overrun. They're also much cleaner than discs
in the wet. I never hear any of the folks who tout discs' wet
performance mention drums. Maybe they're more into new hotness than good
wet braking? Or do they think weaker wheels make for better stopping?

Since discs at least for bikes essentially come from MTBing which is often
wet and dirty braking is remarkably consistent, my commute bike which is a
old MTB with fairly basic hydro discs, bar the the first braking of the
commute where it clears the disc.

If the disc is noisy none of mine are, most normal culprit is oil, discs
generally should be left be, wash off the dead sheep maybe, but don’t
fiddle.

Roger Merriman