Old December 21st 06, 02:48 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Shawn

Default Let's discuss Indoor training

Raptor wrote:
Giant Yukon MTB Girl wrote:
Pete, I don't do well with stairmasters; issues with lower back pain.
Therefore the bike is the only thing for me really.
I know $400 is alot, but I think it's well worth the $$ in the long run
- come Spring I'll be right as rain!
I'll be watching movies or listening to my new mp3 player while I pedal
away.

So JD, what do you do to keep in shape over the winter months?

MTB Girl

Core work can help with the back. I "suffered" from occasional lower
back discomfort until I learned a bunch of core exercises a few years
ago. But if you have an actual injury, you may be sort-of screwed.

Riding indoors alone takes a special kind of masochism. Spin classes are
great for maintaining some level of conditioning and there's enough
distraction to make them tolerable, possibly fun. But given that most of
them are an hour long, they keep you in shape to ride for about an hour.
Every Spring, those longer rides are just as hard as last year.

Not just as hard. Much easier to build fitness from one hour workout to
three hours than none to three hours. Been there done that (last year).

So, if you want more and have snow, go snowshoeing or x-country skiing.

Gonna eat breakfast first :-)

Shawn