Old December 14th 19, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Bike adjustments

On Friday, December 13, 2019 at 7:28:06 AM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, 13 December 2019 10:22:31 UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, December 13, 2019 at 4:16:43 AM UTC-8, Duane wrote:
wrote:
On Friday, December 13, 2019 at 6:20:03 AM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 8:07:35 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
On 12/12/19 3:02 pm, Ralph Barone wrote:
James wrote:

With disc brakes you would only need to flip the axle quick release and
take the wheel out, and not need to fiddle with the brakes at all.

Yeah, but if I unintentionally squeeze my brake levers on my canti equipped
bike with no wheel installed, it’s a pretty easy recovery.

It's a non-issue with mechanical disc brakes too.

You might be thinking of hydraulics? I'm not so keen on them, like I'm
not so keen on electronic gear shifting.

Its a 20 second fix, assuming one squeeze is enough to prevent
re-installation of the wheel. I prefer hydraulic to cable discs for
braking feel and the fact that the pads are self-adjusting, but cables
are fine, too - except on my CAADX commuter because of the long cable
run in housing caused a lot of drag, and the return springs on the BB5
were weak. I definitely prefer hydro discs on that bike.

-- Jay Beattie.

I bought a cross bike after disks brakes became available for them (never
wanted a crossbike with canti lever brakes; they are really crap for that
kind of riding). First cable disks. Never liked them on my cross bike. I
had more issues with them than I have with my current hydraulic disks.
Never had any issues with these hydraulic brakes in almost six years now.
My 'biggest problem' is breaking in the pads which is the same for cable
discs. I don't understand why people prefer cable discs on off road bikes
for off road riding with a lot of mud. Glad I'm not hydrau phobic.

Like you said you have to squeeze really hard to get into trouble
reinstalling you wheel and then it is an 20 seconds fix with your tire
lever. It is not something that happens just by accident on a regular basis.

Lou

Isn’t there a spacer or clip or something to keep the pads in place when
taking off the wheel? I haven’t tried disc brakes but friends that put
their bikes on my roof rack seem to have something like that. Doesn’t seem
like a big issue.

It isn't a big issue. The usual problem with disc bikes and roof racks are through axles. Your friend apparently had an adapter or a non-through axle bike.

-- Jay Beattie.

The warning I read about a few years ago was that if you took the wheel off a disc brake bike after using the brakes a lot and you accidentaly squeezed the brake lever that the pads(iirc) could then fuse together.

Cheers

I suppose that would be possible since the pads are metallic and very hard braking CAN heat them to the level that they can fuse. But unless you're racing on a very very fast course with hard turns I can't see how you could use them that hard.