Old October 21st 09, 02:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default So you think you can do a trackstand?

On Oct 21, 12:25*am, AMuzi wrote:
mike wrote:
In article ,
says...
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/51...Hulton-Archive

The wierd thing about that picture, in my opinion, is that the bike
doesn't aoppear to be properly balanced. The contact point with the
chap's head is well back from the 'bottom' of the wheel. Unless th
ewheel is somehow locked from rotation I would have thought it would
immediately roll backwards down his forehead. Was there something in the
bike design that stopped the wheel rotating backwards perhaps?

A Dutch style seatstay/spoke lock perhaps?
Photo detail is inscruatble.

--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/

Even after a Dutch ringlock is locked there's play in the wheel
amounting to the distance between two spokes at the rim. Though I'm
not likely ever to manage that trick, if I were to try it, especially
with the wheel at that stomach-tightening angle, I would want the
wheel locked solid.

Andre Jute
Relentless rigour -- Gaius Germanicus Caesar