Old July 20th 04, 01:08 AM
Stomper

Default Buying a bike overseas

"Jack Russell" wrote in message
Shane Stanley wrote:

In article ,
flyingdutch wrote:

if you can go over there (even better if you can take a hack bike
ob=ver with you, boxed up, etc) and then return with your nre bike and
make it look ridden. ie fit computer, old pedals etc) you pay no duty
at all

Provided, of course, you're also happy to make a false Customs
declaration, and face the (admittedly probably small) risk of
prosecution or confiscation.

I bought a fairly expensive new bike in the UK in 2002 and declared it
on my return. Customs were totally unconcerned about it, quarantine took
a bit of a look.

Is there customs duty on bikes and bike parts? I thought they were now zero
rated?

You would have to pay GST of 10% but that's possibly less than the loc al
taxes you may have paid - and may be able to have refunded as you export the
bike?

Anyone know the specifics?

Karl aka Stomper