Old May 8th 06, 03:24 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Can't Use Helmets in the Sun????

"NYC XYZ" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ken C. M. wrote:
NYC XYZ wrote:

Well UV rays damage lots of things, the most important being your skin
plus rubber, plastics and painted surfaces, just to name a few. So it
sounds logical that the foam in your $100 plus helmet might be damaged
by those blasted UV rays also.

Ken
--
New cycling jersey: $49
new cycling shorts: $39

Yes, I know, but for a helmet maker to say that is tantamount to saying
that the helmet is...basically useless! I mean, it's supposed to be a
critical part of one's riding gear, but it's got an undetermined "shelf
life!"

Get a clue, NYC...many outdoor products have a "shelf life" (e.g., tents,
lawn furniture, etc.), due to the effects of UV and heat.

In the case of helmets, there's also the fact that they are designed to be
light and comfortable. You could probably design a stainless steel helmet
that was not subject to UV breakdown...but, you wouldn't want to wear it.

GG