Old March 28th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Patrick Lamb

Default GPS systems

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 20:02:03 -0700 (PDT), Ron Wallenfang
wrote:
I've been wondering if I should get a GPS system for use on my more or
less annual long rides. I'm mostly interested in finding motels,
restaurants and other facilities and Catholic Churches. Directions
are less of an issue. What kind does anybody use and what are the
pros and cons of them as you see it.

I haven't bought one, although I've thought about it a few times.
Aside from being too cheap to want to buy all those batteries, the
question I have is about maps and information. How much of a fixed
cost do you have to update maps periodically? Where would you get the
information on motels, etc.? and how much does that cost, and how
often do you need to refresh that?

Outfits like Adventure Cycling and Appalachian Trail Conference
usually publish annual updates; you'd hate to find out the only motel
in 60 miles closed up last year at dusk, if that's what you were
counting on.

Pat

Email address works as is.