Old March 30th 08, 08:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Default GPS systems

On 2008-03-27, Ted wrote:
On Mar 26, 11:02 pm, Ron Wallenfang wrote:
I've been wondering if I should get a GPS system for use on my more or
less annual long rides. I'm mostly interested in finding motels,
restaurants and other facilities and Catholic Churches. Directions
are less of an issue. What kind does anybody use and what are the
pros and cons of them as you see it.

I have a Garmin Etrex vista CX with City Navigator NT North America
and a 2 GB SD card.

Ditto here, except that I have the Legend Cx. I also use a 2 GB card with
City Navigator NA (not the NT version), though my CN version is getting a
bit long in the tooth now (2006 vintage). I just used two weekends ago to
play tourist while walking around Springfield, IL, and had no problems
finding museums, historical sites, and my hotel again.

The only cons are batteries, but as Ted points out, it takes AAs (NiMH or
alkaline). Getting at least a 2 GB SD card will let you dump *all* of North
America (or Europe) onto the unit at once, so you don't have to swap maps
every time you travel (the way I do with my StreetPilot in the car, as it has
only 128 MB of CompactFlash right now). Oh, and the maps cost $$$ of course,
especially when you upgrade.

It's a fun toy to have, though, and comes in handy on vacation when you're
in an unfamiliar place.

I have a few that I use... I have a Garmin Etrex Vista Cx with a region 10
topo sd card (preloaded with all topo maps for Illinois, Indiana, Michigan
and a few other states). I also have a Garmin Forerunner 305. I thought the
forerunner was better than the edge (made just for cycling) because as a watch
I can wear it for either, wereas, with an edge, I'd have to carry it walking.

The 305 has no maps, but saves your track and I can upload them into my pc
and view the map and other stats on garmins own software or sportracks.

I also have a pair of Magellian 200's that I bought because they were
inexpensive (these are what I let my kids use)

In the car I have a Garmin Nuvi (650 or 660 I think, the one with construction
updates but not the one that shows gas prices nearby; my son has the one that
tells you nearby gas prices and such). I like the ETA feature of it best...

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page