Old September 7th 13, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Partac[_10_]

Default Obeying the highway code

"brianrob1961" wrote in message

On 06/09/2013 10:43, Scion wrote:
brianrob1961 put finger to keyboard:

On 06/09/2013 10:06, Scion wrote:
brianrob1961 put finger to keyboard:

On 06/09/2013 09:45, Scion wrote:
Mentalguy2k8 put finger to keyboard:

"Scion" wrote in message
Rob Morley put finger to keyboard:

On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 21:23:57 +0100 brianrob1961

wrote:

We all know that motorists are obsessed with cyclists obeying the
highway code.

I contend that there are occasions when it is safer for me (and
better for motorists) for me to break the highway code. Do any
other cyclists agree on this one?

Large parts of the Highway Code are advisory rather than
statements of legal requirements, so you can't really "break"
them. The basic laws like not riding on footways where not
permitted, against one-way traffic or through red lights, having
lights and reflectors at night, and working brakes, are pretty
important both for safety and not winding up other road users who
do stick to the rules. So basically no, I don't agree with your
law-breaking, and I think that in doing so you harm the public
perception of cyclists as responsible road users.

In some situations it is safer and more convenient for all
concerned if the highway code is broken.

An example - I sometimes cycle on a road with a bus lane (marked
for buses only, i.e. no cycles) and a normal traffic lane in each
direction.
The time of day I cycle there has very few bus services, but
significant other traffic using the normal lane.

If I cycle in the normal traffic lane, there's not enough room for
me to be overtaken if there's anything coming the other way. In
fact if I'm in that lane as far left as possible, buses can't
safely go past me on the left in the bus lane either.

So I cycle in the bus lane.

'Normal' motor traffic is unimpeded.

Any buses that come along could pull out to overtake me, but I keep
an eye out for them anyway and hop onto the shared-use (cycle and
pedestrian) pavement if there's one coming.

Why don't I stick to the shared-use pavement you may ask? This
particular stretch of road has a couple of dozen turnings where I
would have to give way, which is a pain, and an unnecessary pain
given my solution.

So by breaking the HC I am helping everyone out.

No you're not, you're doing it to selfishly get somewhere quicker.

Of course there's a benefit to me doing it my way.

You'd "help everyone out" by sticking to the route that's been
provided for you

What, the main part of the road? I've already explained that would
inconvenience normal motor traffic.

Or are you one of these people who wrongly think that cyclists
shouldn't use the road?

If I cycled on the path I would potentially inconvenience pedestrians
who are using it as well as inconveniencing myself.

but oh no, you might have to stop a couple of times and get there 30
seconds later.

Why do that if there's no need and no benefit?

Yes, make no mistake that the people who troll on here want nothing
less than the removal of all cyclists from the road.

Can't see you making many productive posts. In fact if I did as you
suggested previously and proposed a list of kill file candidates, your
ID would be near the top of the list.

In other words, you're part of the problem.

In other words, please do not judge me on a few days of hot headed
posts.

****ed again, were you?