Old June 3rd 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default a traffic dilemma

recycled-one wrote:
Assume you are making a left turn from a middle, left-only, lane onto
another multi-lane street.

How soon do you transit to the curb lane after the turn? Right away as part
of the turn? Or as a separate movement from the center lane to the curb?

Theortically as a separate move. I normally would make the turn and
then signal another (right ) turn to enter the curb lane.

Now assume not far after the left you will be making another left as
diagrammed by the purple arrows:

http://www.geocities.com/siklelogical/stone.scott.bmp

Do you stay in the center lane? [blue arrows] Or transit to the curb lane
[red arrows] and then back to the center lane for the second left turn?

If it depends on how far the second left is, then how far is that?

For anything under about 500m I stay in the left lane. After 500m it
becomes a toss-up. The heavier the traffic the more I probably would
be inclined to stay in the left lane. There is not need to fight one's
way across two lanes of traffic if one does not need to.

Nice diagram by the way.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada