Old June 3rd 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default a traffic dilemma

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

http://www.geocities.com/siklelogical/stone.scott.bmp

Theoretically as a separate move. I normally would make the turn and
then signal another (right ) turn to enter the curb lane.

Why a separate move? In the diagram surely there is one lane of
traffic turning into Scottsdale so it can freely split into whichever
lane it wants as part of the turn unless I am missing something about
local traffic law or practice. I'm curious as I was about to post
pretty much the exact same response as you except for this point'

That's what I do normally: Make my initial turn into the curb lane assuming
I'm not making a quick left again. I suppose the 'proper' manner is two
movements but I figure it's more expedient for myself and those behind me to
get to the curb lane in one movement as there is nothing to right to be an
issue... Perhaps a right-on- red coming the other way. But around here if
there is a left-turn only lane there is an advanced green that gives the
left-turner the right-of-way.

Staying in the middle lane for the quick second left... I don't see traffic
volume being the deciding factor. If it's heavy I probably don't want to
make two lane changes but neither do I want to be in the middle of it given
some kar drivers' blindness. OTOH if traffic is light transiting the lanes
is a breeze but then so is staying in the center lane.