Old November 15th 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides

Default I am convinced bicycling is not safe

In rec.bicycles.misc KingOfTheApes wrote:

Originally Posted by cujet
I am convinced bicycling is not safe. I have been riding for years,
mostly to work and for fun. A recent accident broke my left arm into 7
pieces. Surgery put it back together. However, I now have a non union
of the bone in 2 places. I'm 45 years old and bones don't heal as well
at this age. It looks like I will be held together by screws and a
plate. I may never be able to put any load on my left arm.

Sounds a little bit like my crash. I busted an arm bone, my pinkie
finger, and my leg. And I've got you [cujet] by 11 years. I'm into my
tenth week of recuperation.
But put the two of us together and all we add up to is anecdotal
evidence.

Accident statistics on bicycling are horrific per mile traveled. In my
case, I achieved a lifetime of about 15,000 miles before a serious
acccident.

Yep, that's about how much I rode before mine.

Sorry, but bicycling is not the answer, or even part of the answer.

Bicycling IS the answer. I will probably be off bikes until spring,
but when spring comes I'll be back riding full-time. Best thing to do
when you get bucked off a horse is get right back on. It's enjoyable,
I feel great when I do it, and I still have a scum-sucking pig of a
disease (MS) to cure.

Bill

__o | Better is a poor and a wise child than an old and
_`\(,_ | king, who will no more be admonished.
(_)/ (_) | --Ecclesiastes 4: 13