Old June 11th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Grosman

Default Discover team for Dauphine-LIbre and Tour de Suisse

a écrit dans le message de news:
|I was just thinking that Discovery would want it's TDF to spend time
| racing together so that they can refine their tactics and strategy.
|
| I am not certain if their TDF has raced together this season. Perhaps
| they did in the Tour of California.
|

| On Jun 8, 2:58 pm, paolo wrote:
| On Jun 8, 12:15 pm, " wrote:
|
| I was noticing that Discovery has mixed it's TDF team for the
Dauphine-
| Liber and the Tour de Suisse. The Tour of Switzerland starts on the
| day the D-L ends so there is a scheduling conflict. But I am surprised
| that Discovery is not keeping it's TDF riders together..??
|
| I suspect some riders need a little more recovery time then others.
| Also, the real reason probably is contractual with the sponsor, i.e.
| getting as much exposure in europe as possible - which is the reason
| why rider counts per team have grown over the years. The days of top
| riders hitting 200 races a year are long gone!

It done for the same reason that whole teams don't fly together- in case of
catastrophy. This way, if the cops raid the team at one event and those
riders get disqualified for the Tour, there are still some "A listers"
available.