Old July 8th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default VS prologue clock question

On Jul 8, 10:45 am, SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:
I was watching the clock ticker on VS network, and it seemed that when
the riders crossed the line, their ensuing recorded time was at least
5 seconds slower than the visual of them crossing the line.

Why did it look that way?

I suspect the engineers at VS did their own timing/graphics
installation and then tied into TdF official timing when the riders
crossed the line.It certainly looked pretty lame. I also noticed that
they went to the French graphics for a bit midway through the show so
they could absolutely report reality, but then switched back to their
5-7 sec off margin. Notice to that Phil and Paul were announcing to
the correct times so the numbers we were seeing were downstream of
theirs. I bet they switched back to the bogus timing because there was
sponsorship crap on the VS timing banner.

RantAlso anyone notice how damn much floss and chrome they are
showing at this year's tour? It's pretty lame when they break away
from tour programming to pimp the tour program don't you think? All
this time-stretched film grain yellow-rotoscoped bull**** should be on
some graphic artist's demo reel but not on my teevee./Rant

Rant Al Trautwig /Rant

Suggestion wouldn't it be cool if they covered bike racing like
World Cup Soccer and just pushed the screen up and to the left when it
was sponsor break time? Any loss of revenue could be offset by Al
Trautwig's prodigious salary /suggestion