Old January 8th 04, 04:06 AM
Mike Beauchamp

Default if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit?

I find the idea position changes depending on speed and deaccelleration
while breaking.
So, that means it's constantly changing...
It's hard to put into words actually, so I'm trying to think about it..

First of all, I wouldn't "sit" anywhere. I"d definately get out of the
saddle, but I'd stay very low. I'd apply the breaks lightly and fairly
evenly with more front than rear. Then, I'd increase pressure and the
faster I de accellerate the farther I'd slide my ass (which is still off the
seat) rearwards. Under the heaviest breaking, Ideally my weight would
probably want to be above the rear axle althought I doubt I could get it
that far back on even ground.

While breaking, I think it's impossible to lean far enough back where you
would not put enough weight on the front wheel (which should do the majority
of the breaking). So, when you're leaning as far back as you can under the
hardest breaking you're putting your physical weight onto the rear wheel so
you can break with that better than normally, plus because of the
deaccelleration a LOT of weight is still on the front wheel so you can get
as much out of it as well.

Mike
http://mikebeauchamp.com

"wle" wrote in message
om...
if you could position your center of gravity anywhere, to ensure
maximum braking power, where would it be?

obviously over the front wheel is no good, you would flip.

there is a point, leaning either ahead of the front wheel, or
behind the back wheel, that the opposite wheel is off the ground.

clearly those are 2 limits, the answer must lie between them.

if there were very little friction, it would hardly matter.

assume a level road, brakes that can cause a skid no matter what.

ok, so where do you sit?

state assumptions, like coefficient of friction between tire and road,
weight of bike and rider.

show your work.

now for extra credit, make it a function of road slope.

wle.