Old August 13th 20, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Cycling in the city cent A clarification

QUOTE:
On Saturday, June 29, the Hull Daily Mail and Hull Live ran a story about cycling in the city centre.

We said that we had seen 55 cyclists riding in pedestrianised areas. This was incorrect.

An outdated map on the Hull City Council website showed the areas we used were out of bounds to cyclists.

Hull City Council has confirmed that several areas in the city centre are shared zones for pedestrians and cyclists and that it will remove the old map.

The council said: "As part of the city centre’s Public Realm improvements in 2017 several areas were turned into pedestrian and cycle zones. This included Public Realm areas in King Edward Street, Jameson Street and King Edward Square.

"The proposal to allow considerate cycling in these areas was developed through consultation with representatives of various user groups including, bus operators, hackney carriages and taxis, walking and cycling groups, accessibility groups i.e. Guide Dogs and Hull Access Improvement Group (HAIG), local businesses and Humberside Police.

"The intention was to support the City Plan and the Tourism Strategy to ensure the city was pedestrian and cycle friendly, as can be seen in most European cities where it is normally a safe area for cyclists, skateboarders and pedestrians to co-exist.

"We expect all cyclists, residents and visitors to use the city centre spaces respectfully and with consideration for other users."

We are happy to clarify this error and apologise for any distress caused.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news...cation-3069427