Old August 20th 09, 09:56 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

Default Can we bring back the Golden Age of the Bicycle?

On Aug 20, 2:11 pm, Opus wrote:
On Aug 19, 2:46 pm, ComandanteBanana
wrote:snip
Anyway, I think that we can bring back the Golden Age of the Bicycle,
and I will celebrate it with my Amsterdam Classic, my Electra Towney
and my red chopper with h-u-g-e ape hanger bars. See you around!

We can't bring back the Golden Age, but as any comics historian will
tell you, there is always the Silver Age. Just look at all that
pavement out there just begging to be ridden on when those smelly,
noisy, cars are gone. And since it was designed to last 50 years with
vehicles weighing 40 tons driving on it, just imagine how long it will
last with vehicles weighing less than 500 pounds. All it will require
in the way of maintenance is regular sweeping to prevent plant
erosion, since we don't have the weight to grind sprouts into powder
like motor vehicles.

Good point. A Silver Age also makes sense since that's when you have
EXPERIENCE, and you learn to appreciate things. All those cars that
came after the Golden Age didn't make any sense and had a price. We
were TRASHING EVERYTHING, in exchange for COMFORT THAT MADE US FAT AND
STUPID.

We still have time to rectify.