Old August 21st 09, 12:43 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Can we bring back the Golden Age of the Bicycle?

On Aug 19, 10:46*am, ComandanteBanana
wrote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
"Around here the criteria is if they are pretty much complete and able
to be rolled around. (good thing too because I have at least 6
framesets that I hope she has forgotten about)

FWIW her counts usually include the ones in the "soon to be scrap"
pile too. By my count we have 16 ready to ride, but some of those are
for show and go, not daily riders."

***

I think bikes can be both for riding and show...

Remember the good old 1890's?

Well, I'm sure you don't, but back then that piece of junk called the
"automobile" hadn't hit the streets (or dirt roads), but there were
bike ways and the fashionable elite would ride a bike the way they
drive Supersized Unnecessary Vehicles today.

http://velonista.com/wp-content/uplo.../gentleman.jpg

They may look a little bit "funny" to modern times, but imagine what
they would have thought of driving around in a box on wheels.

Anyway, I think that we can bring back the Golden Age of the Bicycle,
and I will celebrate it with my Amsterdam Classic, my Electra Towney
and my red chopper with h-u-g-e ape hanger bars. See you around!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----
In a land where SUVs rule, it may seem counterintuitive or even stupid
to ride a bike... But a man gotta do, what a man gotta do.

*http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution

I think that we *ARE* in the Golden Age of bicycling right *NOW*. We
have indexed shifting that is nearly foolproof no more trying to shift
just by feel and sound (which is great for the hard of hearing and the
newbie to bicycling). We have tires that are highly pucture resistant.
We have a choice of frame materials that can be built up into a
bicycle that gives a comfortable ride over a long distance. We have
lights that throw a good beam of light down the road a good distance
so we can ride at night and still see where we are going without
having to slow to a crawl. Plus, we have thousands of miles of paved
roads that we can ride our bicycles on without bouncing our inner
organs all over the place. Im all honesty, I think that bicyclist have
never had it so good as they do now. We get a lot more bang for our
buck now that we did in the late 1970's and early 1980's.

Cheers from Peter