Old June 23rd 19, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Steel is Real and Carbon is Lighter

On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 17:56:21 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 6:17:42 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jun 2019 09:15:50 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

Snipped
Granted that the Colnago is not an ultra-light but my friend is touring Italy and he went to a bike factory and they advised him against buying carbon. They said that they support a racing team with these ultra-lights but that they are replaced every single race. They say that there's no way that you can get any reliability out of a piece of cloth that tears with resin on it that cracks.

That last is a rather strange statement given that practically all
modern recreation and work boats are made from a mixture of cloth and
resin. Do you mean that my 15 year old, 40 ft sloop, that had sailed
across the pacific ocean and that I sailed from Thailand to Australia
and back was prone to crack?

Or is this just another of your poorly thought out and wild eyed
statements.

Snipped

John B.

You got it John B.

Canoes and kayaks and a lot of power boats are often made of a polyester cloth and/or polyester mat impregnated with polyester resin. Some of those boats are even made with a Kevlar fabric and epoxy resin.

Cheers

Do they use "polyester"? All the "glass" boats that I am familiar with
used actual glass fiber whether layed up as a woven fabric or as
random length chopped fibers usually called "mat".

But yes, Polyester resin is the most commonly used for making the boat
as it is something like 1/2 the cost of epoxy but if repairs are
necessary epoxy if the favored resin as it is substantially stronger
than polyester.
--
cheers,

John B.