Old May 10th 14, 01:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default It's happening! Um... sort of.

Frank Krygowski wrote:
:Some infrastructure fans have bragged about the fact that "It's happening!" -
:that is, that the big investments in bike lanes, cycle tracks, bike boxes and
:such have created a surge in bike commuting.

:I'm all in favor of bike commuting and utility cycling. But I've long been
:aware that the supposed surge has been comparatively minor.

Yeah, the rate of commuting nearly tripled in Chicago from 2000 to 20012.
Totally trivial change. It more than trippled in Portland. It almost
doubled in LA, more than doubled in Philly. It doubled (to over 4
percent) in Minneapolis.

I sugest reading the study (or better, the numbers) and not relying on
bad websites for summaries.

--
sig 63