Old September 14th 10, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Group etiquette overtaking slower riders

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in message

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
news

: Any ride leaders
: out there with solutions to this (other than the r.b.r-standard that
slower
: folk should get off the friggin road)?

Dumbass -

My solution is: run the slower riders off the road.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

The worst is when you don't succeed at running them off the road, and they
seize the opportunity to draft off you and you can't shake 'em loose.
Happened to me twice yesterday, and each guy must have hung on for at least
5 miles (or it should seemed like it was 5 miles anyway). Not normally what
happens. So a bit later I'm climbing Redwood Gulch, a nasty piece of
climbing, and very slowly reel in this guy out in front of me. And then it
happens again!!! The guy claws his way back up to me, obviously without any
help of a draft (15%+ grade at that point, and I'm sure as heck not going
fast enough to create a draft). When it finally eases off, the guy tells me
he was beat but then, after I passed, he saw the "Never give up, Never
surrender" written across my jersey pockets, and that inspired him.

The last thing I want is to inspire more people to beat up on me. Maybe I
need a demotivational slogan back there.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA