Old August 26th 03, 08:43 PM
Rowan

Default Flexible seat failure

Thanks for the replies and the advice U-turn. That picture looks like a
Wilder rails adapter, the Kinport one has no brake mount. I get the idea
conveyed by the pictures though. I already intended to use some inner
tube rubber after seeing the broken CF seat, is one layer of rubber not
enough for protection? I want it to cushion the edges but not be enough
to flex when I pull on it. I will consider getting the leg-friendly
Miyata bumper (maybe someone has a spare one), or else I could get that
kinport one because at least they make it in black. I just had an idea
that I could temporarily strap some innertube rubber to the back of the
seat for the meanwhile. I should be finished the rest of the airseat
today, and I haven't even ordered a bumper yet. It will be hard not to
split the leather if I don't have protection.

I had a go yesterday on my Airseat with a long seatpost. It felt amazing
to ride up a gutter, and I could feel the unicycle compress at both
ends! I was also impressed that my Thomson seatpost defeated my pipe
cutter last night. I'll have to hacksaw it because the pipe-cutter blade
kept getting stuck, and would not delve deep enough.

Does anyone know if the dust from drilling/sanding carbon fibre seats is
hazardous? I read something on the net about carbon fibre dust being
dangerous to breath if the fibres are so many microns across or long,
but I wouldn't have a clue as to how many microns each fibre is. I have
been drilling in the Polytech workshop, and I was wearing breathing and
eye protection, but Todd behind me reckoned I poisoned him with my
fumes. The tutor thought it would only be dangerous if you inhaled it
all the time (and wasn't going to supply me with a dust mask). It's fun
to drill the Carbon fibre seat base, I am glad the holes line up well
enough so far after I did it myself.

--
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772