Old May 25th 04, 01:03 PM
Peter Clinch

Default The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

David Hansen wrote:

Except for the golf balls. When asked about this the official of
Fife Council claimed that all cyclists should wear helmets.

CTC day last year we were shown around St. A's and the cycling stuff
they'd done there. The chap giving the tour (can't remember his name,
I'm afraid) seemed to show a good grasp of Clues. He took us round the
tour on an old 10 speed while not wearing a helmet, a good sign, I think!

I agree that the cycle path you describe is good, but Fife Council
spoilt their copybook by the cycle track through Guardbridge, which
is a good example of a farcility.

Complete cock-up, isn't it? Change a couple of hundred meters of not
busy carriageway for crossing the road twice and going round a scheme
involving several very sharp and blind corners. Once was enough to
convince me it had been the Work of Fools so I just use the road there.

Fife's first try at the Tayport - Tay Bridge was pretty hopeless. To
get onto it you had to go up a steep rise surfaced in loose gravel. My
pal thought he'd have a go and /just/ made it on his Brom, I then had a
go on the Streetmachine. Didn't quite get up, so put on the brakes...
and slid backwards anyway before toppling over! I was Not Impressed.
Later on there was rutted mud and grass and then a slalom round some
farm gates. But seeing they'd been working on it I tried it again a
couple of weeks ago, and now it's very good with a good surface the
whole way and easy to get on and off it. Hopefully Guardbridge will see
similar upgeading, though in that case you could achieve everything
required by just taking out any attempt at cycle paths.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital