Old April 12th 19, 06:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Cyclists triggering red light cameras

On 4/12/2019 11:43 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 8:06:49 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/12/2019 2:21 AM, AK wrote:

I think you are forgetting some things.

If a cyclist blows thru a red light and is struck by a car, don't you think the driver will be at least a tad bit traumatized?

Give me a break. "Traumatized" is used mostly as a "let my client off
the hook" excuse for guilty motorists.

WTF? Seems like an easy question. There is no "hook" to be let off of when a cyclist blows a light and gets hit by a car. Since when is a motorist guilty for proceeding through a green light?

Not that I agree with Andy's sentiment, but cyclists -- including me -- blow signs and lights at their own risk. If I get hit by a car, that's on me.

I'm not excusing running lights or stop signs. Yes, that's on the
cyclist - or on the motorists who do it much, much more frequently.

But it bothers me when people wring hands about "trauma" to the most
over-privileged group of road users. Motorists routinely traumatize each
other as well as non-motorists. But that "trauma" seems to come up only
in hypothetical bicycling cases like the one AK presents.

And yes, I've now defended two cases where the motorist sued for emotional distress, although both involved pedestrians and suicide by truck. That seems to be popular these days -- park by the side of the road and step in front of a giant truck. Not my first choice for offing myself. One guy got cut in half, which makes for a messy clean-up, and I hate making a mess.

Agreed. If you're going to suicide, don't involve others.

--
- Frank Krygowski