Old April 29th 19, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Belt drive

On 2019-04-26 08:33, AMuzi wrote:

That's true but how different to the rider from a broken chain,
driveshaft, crank or pedal?

Chains usually do not snap without some serious lack of maintenance or
running them way past prime. Never heard of a driveshaft break except
once on a heavy vehicle (bus). Belts usually snap out of the blue.

Out cycling one day I came upon a Ford F150 or F250 perhaps, where the
driver had come to a stop at a side road to my left. Before I rode in
front, the driver revved the engine and, I assume, dumped the clutch.
There was a bang and ting ting ting sound, as the broken drive shaft
continued to spin while the vehicle remained practically stationary.

I know of a front wheel drive vehicle that suffered a broken drive shaft.

I broke a shaft in a gearbox once. It's a shaft. It broke.

The only time I heard that about a car was a coworker who torqued off
the drive shaft on a VW microbus. He had put a Chevy V8 engine in it ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/