Old April 29th 19, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Belt drive

On 2019-04-28 15:24, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 07:55:32 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-04-27 15:33, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 07:27:33 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-04-26 16:20, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 07:40:39 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-04-25 16:27, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 12:22:41 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

[...]

It's lasted many thousand hard miles now which included heavy loads.
Yeah, that bike is heavy but it never breaks down anymore.

The carbon-fiber bicycles are so popular is because they are light :-)

I doubt that marketing a bike because it is heavier than all the rest
would be a real smart marketing move :-)

No, it has to be marketed as sturdier than the others. That gets
customers. Why do you think heavy SUVs sell so well in some areas?

The reason that USV's were invented was to circumvent U.S.
regulations about fuel economy (if I remember correctly). By building
a vehicle on a truck chassis and classifying it as a truck the fuel
consumption limits for automobiles didn't apply.

That sounds like fake news. My SUV is classified as a passenger vehicle,
else it would require a different kind of license plate like the pickup
truck of a neighbor does. He also has to pay more tax on it.

No it isn't. I was alive and well when the SUV's were "invented" and
it was common knowledge then. the first vehicle stated to be a SYV
seems to have been the International Harvester Travelall in 1956
(credited as being the first full-size SUV).

Even the Wiki seems to know why the term and model came about,
"For example, Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) regulations
previously included "permit greater cargo-carrying capacity than
passenger carrying volume" in the definition for trucks, resulting in
SUVs being classified as light trucks.

This classification as trucks allowed SUVs to be regulated less
strictly than passenger cars under the Energy Policy and Conservation
Act for fuel economy, and the Clean Air Act for emissions.

Even a casual look would have let you in on the secret .

Why do you think the Ford Ranger is out of favor? AFAIK that size does
not fall under CAFE loophole and that's the size of many modern SUV
(such as mine).

The point is that you believed that my statement that SUV's evolved to
avoid fuel consumption laws was incorrect and I proved that what I
said was correct.

Now you are off on a tangent about Fords. Which have nothing to do
with the subject... that you didn't know why SUV's originally came
about haven't even tried to find out before branding my true
statement as false news.

According to information such as this SUVs are _not_ exempt from CAFE:

https://energyathaas.wordpress.com/2...asier-to-meet/

Personal truck-style vehicles are allowed higher values but they are not
exempt.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/