Old August 18th 16, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

Default The dangers of coasting downhill not in gear

On Thursday, 18 August 2016 16:29:06 UTC+1, NY wrote:

Ironically, with a modern car with fuel injection and an engine control
unit, it probably uses more fuel to have the engine idling in neutral than
to leave it in gear with your foot off the throttle. In gear with your foot
off the throttle, the motion of he car keeps the engine turning over and the
ECU recognises that it will not need any fuel to keep the engine turning and
will cut off the fuel. In neutral, there is no "overun" of the car driving
the engine, and a small amount of fuel is needed to keep the engine idling.
The difference is probably very small either way.

Back in the day when I was young and daft, I used to turn my engine off at the top of long hills to save fuel.

All went well until someone invented steering locks.