Old March 28th 20, 10:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default State your opinion on COVID-19

On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 13:23:45 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Saturday, 28 March 2020 15:34:25 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/28/2020 2:18 PM, Mark J. wrote:
On 3/28/2020 10:09 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/28/2020 11:01 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

As usual, discussions here have devolved into childish name
calling by some, demeaning published facts and data, quick
political jabs, defensive changes of subjet, and "I know
better than anyone" allusions. Things get obscured.

So I'd like to get a direct answer, especially from Tom and
from Andrew.

Tom: Do you really think COVID-19 is no worse than an
ordinary seasonal flu?

Andrew: Do you really think COVID-19 is no worse than an
ordinary seasonal flu?

Of course, this is a discussion group. Others are very
welcome to give their opinion too.

BTW, our bike club now has its first member in intensive
care on a ventilator. I consider him a really good friend,
one of the guys who (almost) always came on my night rides.
He's much younger than me and has been a hell of a rider, a
daily commuter, fast and high mileage.

Up to here, yes. Death is not trivial to the fatality
himself, but the numbers haven't supported panic so far.

I will change my opinion when/if the numbers change [...]

Sadly, give it a week or two. Cases are roughly quadrupling
each week in the US [based on CDC reports]. Exponential
growth doesn't catch the public eye when the absolute
numbers are low, but those low numbers don't last long.

We are solidly on track to eclipse the "regular-flu" numbers.

Mark J.

but having known
people who died of pneumonia from influenza, my point was
merely that it's the same death (and an unpleasant one at
that) to fewer people.

see also:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/images/about...nza-burden.png

If influenza were unknown until this year, people would
freak out at forty million infected and 50,000 Americans
dead.

If you want to do something useful and patriotic, do
something about the even larger number of Americans who
die annually by _hospital acquired infection_. That
number is not getting smaller year over year- it's growing.

Another danger is a mental incapacity caused by a political
correctness infestation. From WMAL today:

https://www.wmal.com/news/yes-we-lon...uldnt-anymore/

Headline:
"Yes, we long have referred to disease outbreaks by
geographic places. Here’s why we shouldn’t anymore"

Main argument worthy of a failing grade in a high school
logic class:
"During the 2003 SARS outbreak, media coverage of the
disease led to the stigmatization of Asian communities in
countries such as Canada. It devastated Chinese-owned
businesses, especially those located in Chinatowns."

I looked for SARS on a map. Couldn't find it.

Perhaps in time all this will pass, just as we no longer use
"the French disease".

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

I used to live in Toronto, Canada in the Broadview & Dundas/Broadview & Gerrard area. It became know as Chinatown #2 or East Chinatown. The Chinese took over the transit shelters and set up shop in them and sold all sorts of stuff including live ducks. The offal and the stench were something that has to experienced to be believed. In summer on the weekends you couldn't keep a window open even though you lived a few blocks away from the main street. The illegal shops were so prevalent and sprawling on the sidewalks that in many cases pedestrians had to venture out onto the roadway in order to get past them. Having experienced that, I don't wonder that diseases spread so quickly.

Cheers

Must be some shortcoming in your village/town/city ordnances as there
have been "wet markets"in all of the Asian countries where I have
lived and they are cleaned every afternoon after the market closes. No
unusual smells at all. A stall user who neglected to clean his area
would be refused space the next day and ostracized by the other users.
--
cheers,

John B.