Old December 29th 03, 03:50 PM
Shawn Curry

Default Colder Weather: Harder To Ride?

Fredzep wrote:
"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in message

Is it just me?

I definately get out of breath sooner when it's 40-ish than when it's

60-ish.

Doesn't seem logical. Seems like the cooler air should have more O2 in

it per

unit volume, for one.

OTOH, I'm not getting the same miles in as during warm weather.
OTOOH, I've been doing the StairMaster pretty regularly....

Seems like an annual occurrance.

Anybody else?
--
PeteCresswell

Yes definitely. Don't know exactly why. I'm sure some of the folks here will
be a lot more scientific.

Haven't followed this thread, sorry if this is a repeat.
Your airways may be constricting from the cold air. I think this is a
normal response. Maybe some way to retain body heat in the cold, or
maybe just your body saying "Hey stupid its too cold out here, go inside!"
Anyway, in the extreme, its called bronchospasm. The airways really
constrict and you wheeze. Kind of like asthma without the allergy
induced swelling of the airways. Really can screw up a ride.
What to do? SLOW, like "God are we ever really going to get moving",
warm up and avoiding stops where I cool down too much works for me. So
does albuterol, a brochodialator inhaler. See your doc for that.

Cheers,
Shawn