Old April 14th 19, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Cyclists triggering red light cameras

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 12:29:49 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 11:44:16 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:

(FWIW, in a 100% perfect fantasyland, I think most Stop signs would
actually be Yield signs, at _least_ for bicyclists. Look up "Idaho Stop.")

- Frank Krygowski

I believe John B. has said he lives in Singapore. I have heard Singapore is sort of a rich, capitalist euphoria, and an evil hard nose dictatorship all in one. Any and all disobedience of any law is punished by a public flogging and whipping and sentence of not less than 1 year in prison doing hard labor. Singaporians are obedient to the letter of the law. So how everyone else in the world except Singapore obeys the law may be very foreign to John B.

Since I retired I live in Thailand but when I was still employed the
company had a Singapore Office which came under my department and I
visited the country, probably twice or three times a month, for 20, or
so years.

Singapore has had a democratic government since it became a sovereign
nation, in 1965. The People's Acton Party (PAP) has had a majority in
the government since independence based on parliamentary elections (
at any time par aliment is dissolved or at 5 year interval ). In
addition Presidential elections are held every 6 years.

Yes Singapore has very strict laws and punishments can be as severe as
"caning" or hanging. On the other hand, Singapore has a "narcotics
problem" that is the lowest in the world, a murder rate of
0.32/100,000 (U.S. - 5.35) and over all the lowest crime rate in the
world.

As for obeying the law, as I have said I live in Thailand. The word
"thai" means free and pretty well describes the general attitude of
the people - free to do about any damned thing that they want to :-)
The traffic is chaotic and road deaths are in the neighborhood of
36/100,000 (population) , In comparison the U.S. is 10.9/100,000. From
reading the news, it appears that nearly all of the accidents in which
someone dies are due to disobeying traffic laws.

On the other hand I enjoy living here :-)
--
cheers,

John B.