Old July 19th 19, 04:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default More on Slack Spokes

On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 9:15:34 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/19/2019 2:17 AM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 21:50:50 -0700 (PDT), Chalo
wrote:

John B. wrote:
And when you fouled a few threads, you actually foul all the threads
that are engaged which if the spoke end protruded through the nipple
is effectively all the threads.

No, that's not true. Remember that the hard stainless spoke threads are unaffected; only the few brass threads that run up on the unthreaded shank are distorted. Since there are many turns of thread inside the nipple, those can serve as a lock while the rest function normally. It's analogous to an all-metal locknut that has been staked to distort the thread slightly on one end.

I see, or maybe I don't see, but I think that what you mean is that
when the threads in a stainless spoke/brass nipple assembly are
damaged only the threads in the brass nipple are damaged, because it
is the softer material. Which is certainly true... but if the threads
in the brass nipple are damaged isn't the strength of the threaded
joint diminished?

Carry it to an extreme and tighten the joint a bit more and as you
say, only the threads in the brass nipple are damaged , but isn't
strength of the joint reduced? After all the damage to the threads is
that they are partially sheered from the parent material and another
turn or two the threads will be completely sheered from the brass
nipple and the strength of the joint will become zero.

I'm with Chalo on that:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/NIPPLES.JPG

2 or 3 turns work as he described. Ten turns would be as you
predicted.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/