Old June 5th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default a traffic dilemma

"recycled-one" wrote in message
Assume you are making a left turn from a middle, left-only, lane onto
another multi-lane street.

How soon do you transit to the curb lane after the turn? Right away as
part of the turn? Or as a separate movement from the center lane to the
curb?

Now assume not far after the left you will be making another left as
diagrammed by the purple arrows:

http://www.geocities.com/siklelogical/stone.scott.bmp

Do you stay in the center lane? [blue arrows] Or transit to the curb lane
[red arrows] and then back to the center lane for the second left turn?

If it depends on how far the second left is, then how far is that?

I have something like that situation at the beginning of my afternoon
commute. I turn left shortly after exiting the bike parking area, then left
again between 3 and 4 blocks later onto a sidewalk which shortly after
becomes a bike path. Until recently, the intermediate street (Michigan St.
in Milwaukee) had only modest traffic and I almost always moved immediately
to the right lane and then back when I was ready to turn.

Recently, though because of construction elsewhere, Michigan St. has become
a mad-house, with many more buses and much more auto traffic. More often
than not, I still go to the right lane and operate from there. But on a
minority of occasions, I may a) take the sidewalk to the right to pass
buses; or b) stay in the left lane, which is slow because, inter alia of
autos turning left at an intermediate point (I don't mind taking the lane
for the 1/4 mile or so involved - as noted, I'm more likely to be slowed
than to slow other traffic); or c) take the sidewalk to the left, e.g. when
I don't see a lot of pedestrians there, and/or to avoid a red light at my
first left turn.

So it definitely depends on the situation.